Observations from the Invisibility Cloak

When I was 28 and writing poetry, I wrote a poem lamenting the feeling that I was invisible because I was no longer the youngest, cutest thing on the block --- and I had become a mother. Now I'm in my sixties and really invisible. And I like it!

Friday, April 1, 2011

Turned in my keys

Today I turned in my keys and badge at school.   That felt more final than signing the resignation or filling out the retirement papers.  I got to go to lunch with many friends.  My grade level team gave me a bag full of "writer's gifts" which were funny and encouraging.  Everywhere I turn, I am reinforced for this new beginning.

I've moved a lot in my lifetime, though not so much in the past 20 years or so.  I moved 33 times in my first 30 years, so I like being much more stable now.  I've also held many jobs over my working life.  Leaving this job was exactly what I needed to do.  At the same time, it's hard to leave the people I work with.  When you go through such intense levels of stress --- and joys ---- together, you form a bond.

So tonight I'm feeling slightly melancholy, grateful, relieved and curious about what will happen next. 

Also very glad it's Friday.  Jill cooks dinner on Friday! (and Saturday and Sunday)

No comments:

Post a Comment