Observations from the Invisibility Cloak

When I was 28 and writing poetry, I wrote a poem lamenting the feeling that I was invisible because I was no longer the youngest, cutest thing on the block --- and I had become a mother. Now I'm in my sixties and really invisible. And I like it!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Retirement changes things

Suddenly I have time to do the things I've only thought about, or tried to fit into the corners of an over-full working life. 

I married a woman ten years my junior, though neither of us could be called a spring chicken.  Hot flashes.  When two people are having hot flashes at the same time, life gets interesting, especially when it comes to the thermostat, open windows and covers on the bed.  Mine were from age.  Hers were from breast cancer.  It all amounts to the same thing --- where'd the estrogen go?

Now I'm home in the daytime while she's still working.  Somebody, after all, has to bring home the bacon.  It's brand new, this retirement gig.  It won't last since my pension is really low, so I'll have to find some way to make money.  But for a couple of months, this is what I'm doing.  I'm staying home to write, to recover from the most stressful situation I've ever experienced, and to raise the puppy.

The changes are enormous already.  I'm learning to relax.  I can make decisions about how to spend my time.  Without the never-ending pressure of school work and unfinished tasks, I am able to sleep again, to read for pleasure, to follow my curiosity, even to "waste" time if I want to.  And I want to.

2 comments:

  1. Sleeping, reading, writing, and exploring are not wasted moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the about me column you forgot to say that you are a wife and mother. Also I will continue to bring home the bacon as long as you fry it up in the pan...

    ReplyDelete