Observations from the Invisibility Cloak

When I was 28 and writing poetry, I wrote a poem lamenting the feeling that I was invisible because I was no longer the youngest, cutest thing on the block --- and I had become a mother. Now I'm in my sixties and really invisible. And I like it!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The old lady with purple socks

We've all seen her.  She's the little old woman in the grocery store who is wearing those shoes that might actually be slippers, purple (or pink or orange or white) anklets, knit pants that just graze the top of the socks, an oversize t-shirt that may or may not have Mickey Mouse emblazoned on the front. There is no indication of any sort of foundational undergarment present. Remember her?  The age is indeterminate, but whatever it might be, you take one look and wonder how anybody could leave the house looking like that.

Now I know!

I get up in the morning and throw on my sweats or plaid flannel pants (red or blue), and either my huge red shirt from the Pleasure Island Jazz and Blues festival 2007, or my purple glow-in-the-dark goddess t-shirt.  Those are the most comfortable ones, so they're usually conveniently draped over the quilt rack.  I slip into a pair of backless shoes and go outside to throw the ball around for Buddy.  Once he's run out of energy, I'll turn my attention to the day --- writing, sweeping, talking to the cats.  At some point I'll have a sudden inspiration to make (fill in the blank) for dinner and grab the car keys, call the dog, and off we go to Food Lion.  No bra.  No socks.  Jammy pants.

I'm HER!

There was a time in my life when I would not leave the house without taking a look in the mirror.  There was even a time when I wore make-up and wouldn't go downtown in shorts.  I know, it's hard to believe.  (My grandmother also cautioned me that women do no eat on the street, not even ice cream cones.  And you NEVER go barefoot!)

I'm not sure what this means.  I'm old and I don't care?  I'm not trying to impress anybody?  I don't expect to see anyone I know because this is such a big town?  Maybe it's just that I have other priorities nowdays.

Anyway, when I see her in the store or on the street now, I feel a sisterhood.  I've walked in her houseshoes.

3 comments:

  1. there are a lot of good things about getting older. i have a picture you posted some time ago that shows the old folks walking on the street with their shadows showing young people. i printed it out and have it on my wall. 'we are so much more that what you see'! thanks for the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having teenagers in our house I am constantly reminded of how life, for them, is about being popular and what others think of them. Just today I was trying, really hard, to remember being like that. Then I took a few minutes to bask in the freedom of being who I am at this point in my life and how being popular is the furthest thing from my mind. Rather, I contemplate how awesome it is to laugh, will I be able to make it through the day without taking a nap, will I ever see my waistline again?, connecting with friends and family, and snuggle time with Gracie girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see myself slipping closer to the days of having other things to worry about...I am really looking forward to it. It's a shame that it is taking me so long in my life to know what's really important in life, and to value others not by what they're wearing, but by the personality, the person they possess within!

    ReplyDelete