Observations from the Invisibility Cloak

When I was 28 and writing poetry, I wrote a poem lamenting the feeling that I was invisible because I was no longer the youngest, cutest thing on the block --- and I had become a mother. Now I'm in my sixties and really invisible. And I like it!

Friday, April 29, 2011

Frosting on the cake

I just opened my email and found that I've been paid my first royalty check, which is actually a direct deposit.  I'm in almost as much wonder and shock as I was when I first saw my book published on Kindle.

Today has been largely about tidying up loose ends: filling out forms, checking in with the Queen of Paperwork at school (who set me on the right track!) and generally taking care of business.  I don't like doing things like that, so I tend to procrastinate.  Today I wouldn't let myself get on the computer until I had taken care of everything else.  When I did ---- BINGO!  I'm a paid, published author!

Last November 30, up against the NaNoWriMo midnight deadline, I fell when I came out of school.  I was carrying a basket of my children's NaNo books and going home to write the last 3,000 or so words of my own.  When I fell, I hurt my right hand, especially my thumb.  Since I couldn't find an open urgent care and I really wanted to finish the 50,000 word novel for NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth before midnight, I simply gritted my teeth, slapped on the ice pack, took ibuprofen and set to work.  I reached my goal and uploaded it before midnight to collect my third NaNoWriMo completion.  The next morning I went to the doctor and found out that my thumb was fractured and my shoulder was hurt as well.  I spent the next six weeks in a splint and had 6 weeks of PT after that.

And the point is?

When I look back, I can see that fall as being a pivotal event, though I didn't know it at the time.  It triggered a slide into feeling more frustrated, unable to do all my normal activities, worried about aging because it was not the first bad fall I've had, getting behind in work and using up all my sick leave on appointments.  Ultimately, it led me into the deep depression which finally resulted in retirment from my teaching job this month.  It wasn't possible to connect those dots during the time it unfolded. 

It is a truism that good can come from bad.  That fall I took set off a cascade of events that brought me to doing what I've always wanted to do ---- to write.  It was never a serious possibility for me before.  Once I started to slow down, listen to my inner self, operate more from could and less from should, and open my heart and mind to possibility, it no longer seemed like a pipe dream to be a writer, a novelist.  The New Women has readers, even people I don't know!  The next one is nearly ready to go up on Kindle.  I'm determined to put them in print form, too.  I see my stories go out into the world and I don't know where they'll land, but I'm so happy to launch them.

Getting a royalty payment is another affirmation that I am taking a chance on my dream, and it's working out.  Today is the only day I have, that any of us has.  Today I write and publish novels.  And wonder of wonders, I even get a little money in the bargain.  Mmmmmmm, love that frosting.

2 comments:

  1. When one door closes...so they say! I wanna know what the check was! (wink, wink) :) I am excited to read the first Bundy novel (it will probably be lost in a sea of works...). I'm happy that you're happy friend. Looking forward to teatime. :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful thing! As I wonder at my own development and all that the Universe is doing to support my development, I am now able to wonder at the growth and happiness that I see in others. I am awesomely proud of you Kathy! Keep on keepin' on, as they say! And may the wonders never cease!

    ReplyDelete