Observations from the Invisibility Cloak

When I was 28 and writing poetry, I wrote a poem lamenting the feeling that I was invisible because I was no longer the youngest, cutest thing on the block --- and I had become a mother. Now I'm in my sixties and really invisible. And I like it!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I could love this!

In the midst of chaos and pain, new life is born.  I left my job 6 weeks ago to seek some sanity and mental health.  I tell people that I had a good, old-fashioned, nervous breakdown --- perhaps that's true.  The immediate relief of being out of the rapids and the whirlpool that is my teaching job, has deepened into exactly what I was hoping for, though I didn't have the words for it at the time. 

I wanted to find solid ground to stand upon.
I wanted to reclaim the quieter parts of myself.
I wanted to be able to see the wonder again.

When I left the building on January 28, though, all I wanted was to be able to stop crying and have my eye stop twitching all the time.  I would have settled for that.

This time has given me the opportunity to remember:

I am not my job.
It is necessary to sleep.
Relaxing is not being lazy.
I cannot singlehandedly save anybody, even myself.
Life without joy will become a life of burden, guilt, shame, and fatigue.

And that's only the beginning.

I named this blog "Winding Down" because I felt like I was winding down the career part of my life, headed into retirement.  Now it feels much more like "Opening Up"!

No comments:

Post a Comment