Observations from the Invisibility Cloak

When I was 28 and writing poetry, I wrote a poem lamenting the feeling that I was invisible because I was no longer the youngest, cutest thing on the block --- and I had become a mother. Now I'm in my sixties and really invisible. And I like it!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tea and Cookies

Jill is on a baking jag. Until now, I've always been the baker in the family. A few months ago, she took it into her head to begin baking pies. She's done apple, peach, strawberry and, I think, pumpkin. In spite of the well-known fact that I have the best pie crust recipe in the world, she insists on using her own. It's remarkable that she can make such a good crust from an inferior recipe.

Now, it's cookies. Until about ten days ago, she had never made cookies. Think of that. Never made cookies! I think I started baking cookies when I was in fourth grade --- on my own, that is. Before that, I helped my mother. Baking cookies was a favorite Saturday pastime for my friends and me in Jr. High. That was well before sports for girls, so no, I wasn't ever on the soccer field. Not that I ever would have been anyway. Sports. Ick.

Her cookie debut came in the unexpected form of molasses cookies. Since her favorite has always been chocolate chip, that would have seemed like the more obvious choice. She followed the recipe to a T and the results were delicious. When she hauled out the butter and molasses again the other night, I made a tiny request for a little more ginger. The result? Even more delicious. Too delicious to leave sitting there in the cookie jar, calling to me, sweet siren song of confection. What's a girl to do?

Hot Typhoo Tea. Peeled Juicy Orange. Ginger-Molasses Cookies. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Maybe I can get her to start on quickbreads next.

No comments:

Post a Comment