Observations from the Invisibility Cloak

When I was 28 and writing poetry, I wrote a poem lamenting the feeling that I was invisible because I was no longer the youngest, cutest thing on the block --- and I had become a mother. Now I'm in my sixties and really invisible. And I like it!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Shall I write a book today?

Yesterday I published my second novel on Kindle.  I've been writing novels for fun for many, many years, but never thought anyone else would read them.  Publishing a novel is an event, a landmark, that I always held as a far-off, probably unattainable dream.  Now I know, from my own experience, that it's another part of my process, my journey through life.  Exciting, yes.  But not an end-goal.  Not a final break.  Today, there's another book to finish.

Which makes me think: I keep expecting events and getting processes.  You would think by now I would know.

Take this whole retirement thing.  Even though I kind of slid in the back door, taking 2 months of medical leave that just morphed into retirement, I still thought it would be an event, a clear demarcation, a line in the sand.  Instead, it's just like everything else, mushy and hard to define.

Yes, April 1 was the official date.  As far as paperwork is concerned, there's the event.  But as I experience this new phase of life, there are many more markers on the side of the path than large, instructional signs.  And why should I have expected it to be any different?

When I was in my twenties, I visited an elderly relative, Aunt Jennie, who had long since moved to California from Iowa.  I had never met her; she was my great-grandmother's sister.  I was named after Aunt Jennie, my middle name being Jeanette.  I remember very vividly that day, after showing us her orange tree in the yard, and playing some music for us, she perched on the edge of a wingback chair and said "I'm 85 years old!" then shook her head and added wonderingly, "How did that happen?" 

Process.  Life from the inside feels seamless and actually timeless.  I didn't understand yet in my twenties and thirties.  I thought as the body ages, everything else does, too.  But now I'm 60, not old, not young, and I'm still me on the inside.  I look back and remember incidents or events, but the experience of life is like a long ribbon that continues to unroll.

So here I am at a beginning and this beginning is like other beginnings ---- exciting, thought-provoking, mysterious, a little scary.  I wake up every morning and I don't go to work.  I have more choice about how I spend my time than I ever have before.  For all my adult life, I've hoarded time, guarded it and doled it out with the feeling that it was the most precious, scarce commodity I had.  And maybe it was.

Now I have time to write, to think, to read, to dream.  Chores and errands are not as onerous because I still have time for the things I love.  I treasure my time alone and I delight in my time with Jill.  I even have time to play with the dogs.

I used to dread getting older.  All I could see was the encroaching darkness, the end in sight.  But now that I'm arriving, I find I have more than I ever imagined.  I've heard more birds, taken more walks, read more books, and lost myself in creativity more than I allowed myself in the past.  


And I still write novels for fun.

 

1 comment: