Observations from the Invisibility Cloak

When I was 28 and writing poetry, I wrote a poem lamenting the feeling that I was invisible because I was no longer the youngest, cutest thing on the block --- and I had become a mother. Now I'm in my sixties and really invisible. And I like it!

Friday, October 31, 2014

Waiting for the Urchins

It's Halloween once again. The sun sinks behind gathering clouds and darkness is descending. It won't be long before the ghosties and goblins and Disney princesses and pirates arrive, hoping for candy and a little bit afraid. 

Remember going trick or treating? There's nothing new about Disney costuming. In 1958 I wore a Cinderella mask that kept going crooked so I had to look out of one eye hole. By the end of the night the dyes were running and I looked more like a horror victim than a princess. But I had a bag full of candy.

I have very mixed feelings about Halloween. As a kid, it was one of the most exciting days of the year. Costumes, shivery scary stuff, parades (yes, in school), and candy, of course. Lots of candy. Back in those days there were home made goodies as well ---- candy apples, popcorn balls, brownies and cookies. That all came to a screeching halt in the 70s, I guess.

Now, it's been a number of years since we went to a costume party. This year, we're not even dressing up to greet the kids. Our dogs hate it when strangers come to the door, so they have to put away for the evening. Somehow it's lost a lot of its charm.

But in a few minutes the first little butterfly or skeleton will come up onto the porch and offer up a bucket of some ghastly color and lisp out "Trick or Treat" while mom and dad stand back and grin. And for a few minutes, Halloween will be magical again. And I know it'll warm my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment