Observations from the Invisibility Cloak

When I was 28 and writing poetry, I wrote a poem lamenting the feeling that I was invisible because I was no longer the youngest, cutest thing on the block --- and I had become a mother. Now I'm in my sixties and really invisible. And I like it!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

School to couch pipeline

 
Posted by Picasa


Yesterday, a friend posted that it was National Escape Day and asked where people would go to escape. Escaping from my life used to be a favorite fantasy. One of the first novels I ever wrote centered around a woman who picked up and left her "perfect" life. I didn't think my life was anywhere near perfect, and never seriously would have left my kids, but I have to admit that I longed to be someplace, anyplace, else. Of course, a major component of that was to shed responsibility. There was no reason to escape if I still had to fend for myself, go to a job, cook and clean and be tired all the time. No, my escape fantasy was far more womb-like: I could do what I wanted, meals would magically appear and dishes would disappear afterward. No bills, no money, just life.

The weird thing is, I'm as close to that old fantasy as I will probably get (outside of the nursing home) and I still get stressed out. Maybe the human condition is to always experience desire and/or lack. Or maybe that's just my human condition!

This week marks the second anniversary of my abrupt exit from the rat race of public education and the short, painful spiral into retirement. It was two years ago that I hit a wall so hard that I couldn't seem to recover, not with drugs and therapy and "lifestyle changes" and sleep, lots and lots of sleep. I walked out of school before the kids got there on a Thursday like any other Thursday, and I never walked back in. I couldn't stop crying and twitching, feeling hopeless and like I was down a deep, dark hole. I was basically non-functional. I slept like I would never see a bed again, but had frightening dreams of losing my students, failing my students, being upbraided, fired, reprimanded, jailed, of trying to teach while swimming in honey or molasses, of not being able to hear children's voices, of not remembering what to do next when expectant little people were grouped around me. During those first few weeks, I couldn't focus long enough to read and understand what I read. I wasn't attentive enough to drive safely. I didn't want to die, but I also didn't care if, one morning, I woke up dead. My therapist called it depression. I thought I had known depression before, but nothing like this.

Two years down the line, I've learned a few things. I've learned some warning signs, though I don't always heed them. I've learned to listen when someone I trust, especially my wife Jill, tells me I'm going off the beam. I'm still learning not to shoulder everything alone and try to fix things all by myself. I've learned to slow down, way down, and set aside the self-criticism that has been the hallmark of my life ---- at least part of the  time, anyway.

I'm grateful for that day in January of 2011. Sometimes I miss teaching, I miss the kids, I miss what I loved about teaching. I don't miss the administrative bullshit or the constant tug between how I believe children learn and how I was expected to teach. This week, spurred by our dismal financial situation (retirement has not been a good move, financially!) I started looking for a job in education. That's what I know, what I've done, in one form or another, all my life. I spent two days perusing websites, noting down possibilities, and getting teary and twitchy all over again. Nope --- TIME OUT!  Ain't gonna happen. JIll says so, too.

We mark the phases of our lives by events or changes, often unaware of the significance until much later. I stumbled tearfully out of school that morning fully expecting to be back the next day. I wasn't going to retire for five more years, or maybe two, but I had plans, I was saving money. That is not what happened, and two years later I'm glad it didn't. The past two years have been a remarkable journey, not least because of the opportunity to take care of my mother through the final phase of her life, being available now while she needs me most. I don't have the long view into the future, never did, but that's ok. I'm finally learning to live one day at a time.

As if there were any other way to do it!

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes stepping away is the best thing we can do for ourselves. The second best thing is often staying away. This was a wonderful piece and one I could relate to. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful perspective, Kathy! The last couple of years, my focus word has been discipline. Now, I've noticed that the word "balance" is coming up a lot. I believe that is becoming my new focus. I love it when I hear people talk about learning...even when they are retired...etc. I truly believe that learning happens all the time as long as we are receptive to it. That brings growth. It's never too late to grow. It's just that the path changes and the scenery changes. It makes for a wonderful journey, if we are all about the journey and not the destination. That was my life before. Now, it's the journey and it's a fabulous one at that. Congratulations on the insights. I find it exciting when I can see the life lessons happening as they are taking place. I'm glad I get to witness your journey, too. I'm glad to call you friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy you sound very much like me. The shouldering it alone and fixing things myself. I am still in education but I am teaching a system and a curriculum not children and I know how you felt. Thanks for sharing and in a parting word may I say more Montessori please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just relax sweetie. It's all good no matter what. You took the right step for you and our family never to return. Life is much too short to live the way you were. No more twitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey lady! I'm not on FB anymore so I don't know another way to get in touch. I have a teammate who is looking into some options in regards to publishing a series she is working on. I mentioned you to her and told her I thought you were part of a writing group. I told her I thought you would be willing to give her some input. If you have some time, can you email me your email address so she can get in touch. If you don't have time, she and I both understand. You can send my hmiller school account. Hope you are doing well. Heather Miller

    ReplyDelete