Observations from the Invisibility Cloak

When I was 28 and writing poetry, I wrote a poem lamenting the feeling that I was invisible because I was no longer the youngest, cutest thing on the block --- and I had become a mother. Now I'm in my sixties and really invisible. And I like it!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Act III, or is it IV?

The move is complete and the learning begins. I have discovered a few things about my mom during this process, and no doubt there is much more to come. It's also an initiation by fire into the world of Alzheimer's disease.

I don't know how many people in the US have this disease right now.What's certain is that the Baby Boomers are aging and we ain't seen nothing yet! My father had it, died of it in 2003, and it looked different in him than what I see now. Much of that was probably because my mother, dear heart that she is, shielded us from it as much as she could. Until just before he went into the nursing home, she put a good face on things and made it look manageable. I'm only beginning to see how unmanageable it probably was for her.

Discovery #1, as we were packing for the move: my mother has way more sexy lingerie than I do.

Discovery #2: Even thought she can't remember where she lives or where her room is, she can still crack jokes.

Discovery #3: My love of all things from the office supply store is genetic. She's the only person I know who has more pens, pencils, erasers, paperclips, envelopes, unused greeting cards, markers and post-its than I have. I do have her beat when it comes to hole punchers, though.

Discovery #4: She actually missed some of the housekeeping tasks she had someone else doing for her the last five years. Her housekeeper came once a week to clean the apartment and change the bed. Now it turns out that she likes hanging out clothes and folding them after they're dry, sweeping the floor, washing the table, washing up pots and pans and dusting. Who am I to say no? Actually, we work together.

I think that we will develop some routines over time. There is still a lot of unpacking and putting away to do, and some decision making as well. We weeded out her overstuffed closet to the tune of 5 bags of clothing and shoes for goodwill. Next comes the desk. Does she really need a package of 20 large manila envelopes?

But so far, we do some housework after breakfast, take Buddy to the dog park, run any errands like the grocery store and come home to fix a little lunch. After lunch, she likes to read and nap. That gives me writing time and a chance to catch up with facebook and email. Before you know it, it's time to feed the dogs and fix supper, watch a little tv or look at pictures and we actually all go to bed at a reasonable hour. Regular meals and regular bedtimes. Sounds like there's a mother in the house!

The parts that don't show are the hard ones. I have to direct her to the bathroom, to her bedroom, find her book and her glasses. I hear the beep, beep of the alarm as she opens the garage door looking for her room or for something she can't even tell me. She falls asleep all askew on the couch and I'm afraid she'll get a crick in her neck. She wanders around touching books, photos, furniture, looking puzzled. She sits and watches the leaves flutter, the birds at the feeder, the clouds above. She tells me she's homeless. She's not always sure who Jill is. She worries that Jack needs her then forgets that she saw him only a few hours ago. She cries because she can't think, can't remember, is afraid, worries that she is a burden. I answer every question as though it's the first time. I give her clues about navigation and hold her hand to show her the way. I help her with medicine, showers, dressing, rebutton her clothes, comb her hair, tell her I love her. Soon enough, she'll forget it all.

And yes, sometimes I worry that I'm next in line. But right now I have more important things to do, like taking care of my mother, and staying close to my wife. Like writing 50,000 words of a new novel in the month of November. And watching the birds at the feeder.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful entry. May all mothers have daughters like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to all three of you. I work in a memory care home now. Every day is a new adventure. Love and humor are the binders.

    Deena

    ReplyDelete